The Religious Studies programmes are designed to cover all the facets of religious phenomena as they affect the history, tradition, economics, social, political and ethics of man. The effect of this approach is to develop man in his existential reality to produce an all-round society in realizing life objectives.
MISSION PHILOSOPHY OF THE DEPARTMENT:
Here at the Department of Philosophy and Religion, Religion is believed as that which affects the total man viz. spirit, soul, and body; that is the programme addresses every facet of human endeavour including his spiritual, social, economic, political, psychological, and even scientific perspective of life. Thus, the programme is multi-disciplinary in essence.
The Department of Philosophy and Religion, like all the Departments of the University is academic. Its primary purpose is to study religion so as to discover, establish or preserve truth. The Specific objectives of the programme include:
- To produce graduates with good analytical skills capable of using skills in Religious Studies to resolve serious social, economic and political issues locally and in international affairs.
- To foster in students analytical and creative minds for examining analyzing religious issues objectively;
- To give students thorough and in-depth understanding of the workings of the religiousness.
- To produce quality graduates who would be found worthy both in character and learning.
a) UTME: 4 Year Degree Programme
i) Five (5) Credit level passes in the SSCE/NECO/GCE (O/L) to include English Language, and CRK/BK/, and any other three subjects among the following: Government/Civic Education, Literature in English, Economics/Commerce, Music, Fine Arts.
ii) JAMB/UTME SUBJECTS: Candidates are required to register and pass English Language, and CRS and any other two of the following: Government/Civic Education, Literature in English, Economics/Commerce.
b) DIRECT ENTRY: 3 Year Degree Programme
i) Five credits in General Certificate of Education, Ordinary Level and NECO at least two of which must be a GCE Advanced Level including Christian Religious Knowledge as in UTME above; and then,
ii) A pass in two principal subjects at the NCE Level/ A/L, or JUPEB and/or the equivalent plus five subjects at credit level in GCE O/L, SSCE, NECO, and TC II are acceptable in MTU
- A Three-Year Diploma in any Theological Seminary or College recognized by the University plus five credits at the GCE ‘O’ Level including English Language and CRK.
- Eligible holders of Mountain Top Bible College Diploma could be admitted for a two-year programme leading to the award of B.A Degree in Mountain Top University’s Religious Studies.
- A minimum of 2 GCE (A/L) passes one of which must be any one of the specified in (i) above, or Diploma in Religious Studies or a Diploma in a cognate Arts programmes is also acceptable.
2. INTER – UNIVERSITY TRANSFER:
The University allows inter-university transfer as long as the candidate can prove that he was a bonafide student of the university of his/her claim. However, the candidate will be required to provide the official academic transcript from the aforesaid university which is his basic proof.
- Christain Studies