The Department of Physics admitted its first set of undergraduate students in 2016. Just like the university, the department has gone through some initial problems, but has continued to wax stronger by the day. The department is currently offering undergraduate courses in Physics. However, arrangements are in train to offer in the nearest future courses leading to Bachelor of Science degrees in
- Physics with Electronics
- Space Physics and Astronomy
At the Department of Physics, Mountain Top University, undergraduate programme is offered to prepare students not only for today, but also for tomorrow’s opportunities. In line with the mission and vision of the University, the general goal of the department is to produce educated men and women equipped to use their abilities productively and wisely. The curriculum of our programme is a route to intellectual maturity and means to the development of ideas, insights, values and competence, which form permanent personal capacity for thought and action. The department provides the opportunity and conducive atmosphere for students to construct their own education and to acquire the means of making self-education the rewarding enterprise of a lifetime, enabling them to become effective agents of social change.
Thus, Physicist and Electronics Personnel are adequately groomed to:
- Work as Control Tower Analyst/Manager in Aviation and Maritime Industries.
- Work in Physics Observatory Stations as Research Officers/Scientists.
- Serves as Radiologists and other health workers Clinics and Health Organisations.
- Create job opportunities for the unemployed through Scientific Laboratory wares supplying companies, such as, FINLAB, WINELIGHT, etc.
- Work with the Radio/Television Broadcasting Corporations as a Meteorologist/Weather fore-casting Analyst.
- Work in the Radiation Laboratory of the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Work as Wave Signal Analyst/Manager, Signal Implementation Officers/Manager and Signal Transmitting Officer/Manager in Mobile Telecommunication Companies (e.g MTN, globacom, e.t.c.), Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC), e.t.c. and other related organizations.
- Teach in reputable institutions of learning.
Given this opportunity at the Mountain Top University, each student should develop at an appropriate level:
- Skills of inquiry, abstract and logical thinking, and critical analysis
- Competence in scientific writing and reporting
- The ability to understand and apply scientific and technological knowledge to national development.
- An awareness of system of values as bases for fulfilling the responsibilities of citizenship in democratic society.
- Develop the spirit of entrepreneurship in students so as to make them not job seekers but job creators on graduation from the university.
The Mountain Top University is envisioned as a dynamic centre of academic excellence in the liberal tradition for the production of top-rate, morally sound graduates of distinction who will be globally competitive for outstanding impact on the Nigerian societal and global development.
1.3.1 The UTME requirements are:
The minimum admission requirements for the Physics degree programme is passes at credit level in the Senior Secondary School final year examination of GCE ‘O’ Level in five subjects including Mathematics, English Language, Physics and Chemistry. The other credit can be any one of Further Mathematics, Biology, Economics, Geography, Technical Drawing or Agricultural Science. Candidates are also required to have an acceptable pass in UTME. The subjects in UTME should include English Language, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
1.3.2 Direct Entry
For Direct Entry (DE), candidates must have passes in Mathematics and Physics or Chemistry at GCE ‘A’ level or equivalent. Holders of OND and HND at minimum of upper credit level are eligible for consideration for admission into 200 level.
1.4 Programme Duration
The Department’s Bachelor of Science programmes in Physics runs for a minimum of four (4) years, i.e., eight (8) semesters and maximum of 8 years, i.e., sixteen (16) semesters (for UTME). For Direct Entry candidates, a minimum of three (3) years, i.e., six (6) semesters and maximum of 6 years, i.e., twelve (12) semesters. As part of the programme, students will go for excursion to industries in order to incorporate class room knowledge with practical applications. Also, in the course of the programme, at the end of first semester of the third year, students will go on six-month Industrial attachment called Students’ Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) for the said year in the related industries.
At the end of the SIWES training, the students will return to spend the fourth year to continue and complete their course work and undertake a detailed research work (project) for the said year. On successful completion of the programme, candidates shall be awarded Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Physics programme in the Department.
- Physics with Electronics
|1||Dr.Kareem Semiu Oduro||Senior Lecturer (Ag HOD)|
|2||Dr.David Timothy Wemimo||Senior Lecturer (Visiting)|
|3||Dr.Akande Rapheal Oluwole||Lecturer I|
|4||Dr.Ojo Kayode Stephen||Lecturer I (Adjunct)|
|5||Dr.Adekoya Bolarinwa John||Lecturer I (Adjunct)|
|6||Dr.Kelechi John Ukagwu||Lecturer I|
Sorry no post found.